Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekly Update- September 13

Hey Everyone!
This last week has been one of raising the bar. The standard of excellence was restated and we have work diligently to make it. There is always for growth. I am loving the people I am serving amongst. The ward members here are really opening up. We have a plan to work with part member families. It always adds a little variety especially when they invite you over for dinner. Some are more welcoming than others but my experiences in Hawaii have really come in handy. It helps me relate with people through generation gaps and gives us something in common to discuss and I can bear my witness of BYUH and the PCC and the temple and how it truly is a blessed place because of the spirit of Aloha there with the Spirit of the Lord.

Last week two of our appointments tried to save our souls. One man had tears in his eyes as he tired to convey his concern. I felt the Spirit so strong as I bore my testimony. You can not walk away having felt the Spirit and not be edified. My testimony is strengthened everyday as I share it. I am realizing why my reception here is better- I just love the people and those I am hesitant about I just pray for and look for ways to show charity.

This last week was a week for Service. We are helping community members- we worked at the Cheney Food Bank. We talk with the elderly people as we help them load up their cars. It is amazing to see the smiles on their faces as you smile back to their tender eyes. We helped a lady clean a house for a friend who is in a divorce. This sweet lady when meeting us gave us the biggest embraces for helping her prepare for her children to move in. Walls are being taken down one act of love at a time. On Sunday I had the impute privilege to teach Gospel Principles on Service. It was amazing. Just going by the Spirit and being able to understand the importance of love and how Charity becomes who we are as we serve. We also were able on 9-11(National Service Day) to go to Medical Lake and assist in cleaning a grave yard. It was amazing to see the finish project and the amount of work that was able to be completed. I was able to be on the Tom Sawyer project till I set down my paint brush to eat a snack and found a lady who had quickly taken up the task. I then got to scrub old tomb stones with Sister Winterton. She is amazing. It was fun to feel the sense of unity as you work along side one another.

Brother Sampson's talk was what I wanted to write home about. What comes to mind when you think of sacrifice? Probabally not winning. If his talk had a thesis it would have been - Sacrificing is winning! It was this impacting statement. He related it to a pitching dual and bottom of the 9th and how sacrifice bunt and a sacrifice fly can benefit a team for a win and how the bunt does not count against your batting average. We seem to put this negative connotation on the word but in reality those things we give up produce a better outcome- a win. I see how sacrificing my time, energy, love is worth it. Even though I've been sick the last few days my desire to serve overrides my bodies wanting to give in. I see the strength the Lord gives those who are willing to pay a little in the process for the greater reward of joy. The gospel brings joy. It's precepts and principles shape our character into something more than we could ever do on our own. Share it.
Hoping all is well. Love you all bunches. Thank you to everyone who is making this opportunity avaible for me to be here at this time and place. I know I am here for a purpose and I am striving to make you all proud. Your encouragement through letters, packages and prayers renews my spirits and keeps me going strong.
Love always,
Your Sister Peck

No comments:

Post a Comment